Sir John Colton
13th Premier of South Australia
Sir John Colton KCMG was premier twice, first in 1876 then again in 1884, both times for less than 18 months. Previous to being premier he had served on Adelaide City Council and in the House of Assembly. Thanks to his thriving hardware and saddlery business, Colton was a generous philanthropist. He was a devoted Methodist who gave his time and money to Wesleyan churches throughout the colony. He served on many boards including that of the Adelaide Hospital, the Adelaide Children’s Hospital, and the Blind, Deaf and Dumb Institution. He was a strong supporter of women’s suffrage and compulsory, free, secular education.